A beautiful, interesting, engaging product can easily fail if it does appeal to the intended market.
When developing new products, 70-80% should address the core market position and the remaining 20%-30% should be somewhat risky. Intentional, calculated risks keep the company competitive.
Certain product categories will reach slightly different audiences and will have different market positions. For example, Matr Boomie's men's products are more modern and traditional than the rest of the product line.